Google

Friday, February 29, 2008

Our Story

My daughter Sarah will be turning 15 next month. Watching her grow into this beautiful young lady has been a time of pride and joy. Ever since she was a little girl she had a bright and happy personality, always on a smile on her face. Even in times of adversity, Sarah would be the one who would try to cheer us up and make us laugh. She was the most inquisitive little girl too. Always asking questions about how things worked and what you had to do to make certain things happen. In school her teachers praised her, reporting how the other children always seemed drawn to her. Sarah's grades showed her enthusiasm for learning. She flourished in those early years. I called her my "sunshine". When I would wake her in the morning it would be with song. "You are my sunshine. My only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."

Our kids seem to grow so fast. One day we are holding that chubby little hand while they take their tentative first steps and before you know it they no longer want to hold your hand. I often wonder where all that time went. Work, responsibilities, family and children, with so much to do the days fly by in a blur until one the day you learn your child is addicted to drugs and your world comes crashing to a halt.

It was only 6 weeks ago that I received that phone call to pick my daughter up from school, that she was being suspended for indecent exposure.
(In this post I talk about that day.) Since then Sarah has spent 5 days in Detox, 3 weeks in a court-ordered group home for juvenile delinquents, changed schools 3 times (another story for another time) and was raped. Throughout this time frame she has struggled with constant stress, given in to the temptation of drugs, and placed herself in life threatening situations repeatedly.

Of course it is without saying that my heart has been breaking since that day in December and I have been working furiously to learn everything I can about the court system, the laws in our state, juvenile delinquency, resources available to help teens at risk, mental health , and drug abuse in adolescents. It has been a lengthy, convoluted journey in which I have experienced much and learned that I have yet barely begun to learn how to help my daughter.

I have met some very wonderful professionals along the way, who take their jobs seriously and work diligently to assist those placed in there care. Unfortunately, I have met individuals who were indifferent, corrupt and even injurious when it came to my daughters care.

Sarah is now in a residential treatment facility and has been for 2 weeks today. She is angry, frustrated, stressed, confused, and safe. She feels as if she is being punished and everything she loves and holds dear was taken away from her. However, now, I can sleep at night knowing she cannot run away. I can breath easier knowing she has no access to drugs, alcohol, or inhalants.

As a parent you want what is best for your children. You want them safe, healthy and happy. "Tough love", I have asked myself a thousand times, is called tough because of how much it hurts those who are the recipient or those who are the giver?

Please know that you are not alone. Whether you are a teen abusing drugs, or a parent struggling with this life-changing experience, there is always help. All you ever have to do is ask. Please feel free to leave a comment or ask any questions, and I will do my best to direct you to a resource available to you, or if only to provide an understanding ear.

Fact for the day:

Nearly three out of 10 teens (29 percent or 6.8 million) believe prescription pain relievers, even if not prescribed by a doctor, are not addictive
source

2 comments:

Visions Adolescent Treatment Center said...

Hello Mrs. C, glad to here your daughters in a RTC. If you don't mind me asking where did you send her? Your posts are great and very informative. Thank you for the visits to our site/blog as well. I'll "keep coming back."

Chris28

http://visionsteen.com/blog/

Mrs C. said...

Thank you for stopping by my humble little blog. Things are quite stressful here at home. I wish I had more time to invest in this effort, so forgive the layout and disorganized appearance. I'm working on it, just slowly.
And no I dont mind at all, about you asking where Sarah went.

www.tenbroeck.com
Have a wonderful day and keep up all the hard work that you do.
Mrs C

About Us |Contact Us | Blog Design | 2008 Substance Abuse Recovery and Hope