Google

Monday, February 25, 2008

Preventing your teen from abusing prescription medications.

Several national studies have just released statistics revealing that more teens abuse prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs than any other illicit drug, except marijuana. The news is staggering: 2.1 million teens abused prescription drugs in 2006; 3.1 million people
ages 12 to 25 have used cough medicine to get high.
source

If you think that your local high school doesn't have a drug problem, that your teen isn't at risk, take a look here to see the most current drug profiles of your cityThen continue reading to see what you can you do to help prevent your teen from abusing prescription medications and OTC (over the counter) medicines.

So what can you do to protect your teen from using
First, get educated! Learn as much as you can.


  • Sign up for the Parenting Tips Newsletter from theAnti-Drug.com.


  • Call The National Clearing House for Alcohol and Drug Information at 1-800-788-2800 to order free pamphlets and fact sheets, or visit the website at http://www.health.org/


Next, have the talk. It's time to tell them that you know.

  • Get help if you need it. Read here for talking points.

  • Talk with you teen about your concerns.

  • Do this at a time when you are calm and relaxed and have plenty of time to talk.

  • Let them know what you have learned, educate them too.

  • Establish rules-make sure they know drug and alcohol use isn't allowed in your family.

  • Set consequences-use those that are meaningful to your teen.

  • Be prepared for your teen to be angry and deny using.

  • Be prepared to answer questions about your own use as a teen.

  • Be honest.

Protect your children, follow these steps at home:

  • Start by locking up all prescription medications
  • If you cannot lock them, hide them and keep a count
  • Tell your family and friends to do the same

There is so much to learn and so much that you can do. You can begin by educating yourself on these risks, talk to your spouse, your family, your teen. When you have taken the steps to educate yourself and protect your teen, it is then time to access whether treatment is needed. I have also talked about finding the right treatment in this post.

I am brand new to learning myself and I only hope to help educate others along with me as I travel down this scary road. I am doing everything I can to let my daughter know how very much I love her. I know that you are doing the same. Keep in touch. We all can help each other.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see concerned parents. I am a recovering addict myself and I know being a teenager is hard enough without adding drugs and alcohol to it. Maybe if my parents recognized I had a problem when I was young things would of turned out different.
(not blaming them at all)

About Us |Contact Us | Blog Design | 2008 Substance Abuse Recovery and Hope